Proper techniques and ways can make any job easier. This strategy falls true for learning to play a musical piece or song on piano. While learning piano, your teacher may set a piece for you to learn or you yourself may want to learn a song that you love most. No matter what is the case, helpful tips that we have shared in this article would reduce all the stress and frustration and would minimize failure in practice sessions. Beginning to learn a song over piano without proper strategy would lead you nowhere. Remember that memorizing a piece would not be simple and it would take some time for you to master over it. Some pianists are capable of memorizing things much effortlessly but all may not be lucky enough to be blessed with such musical powers. Here are some tips for beginnings and pros for quick piano learning with any specific song.
Tips to Master any Song over Piano!
- Select the song you want to learn: You should logically select a song that you would like to learn. Before finalizing the piece to learn, you should have a clear look on dynamics of your song.
- Break song in to pieces: Splitting up your goal song in to smaller pieces would make it easier to manage and remember. Break song in parts and listen to dynamics of each part. Listen and follow one piece at a time and then you will be able to better analyze difference in pieces and it would help in learning too. You should split it according to your own judgment depending upon length of song.
- Practice with one hand at a time: Opt for different ways of learning piano. First learn the piece with right hand and then with left hand. Until you have mastered the piece with individual hands then only try it using both hands together. If you are familiar with the lyrics of the song, try remembering lyrics while playing a piece with your right hand. This is a better way of remembering it. Also you should play one line at a time and then move to the next one.
- Practice Slowly: Do not rush at all. You may want to play a piece with full speed but in order to learn and memorize it well, you should play it slowly. Practicing in full speed would enable you to avoid making mistakes.
- Learning takes Time: Remember that you cannot learn to play a song overnight, it would take some time. Try not to overstress yourself and do not frustrate with failure. Regularly practice in small pieces. If you are practicing a rather difficult one, take a break and play other memorized simple pieces.
Tips for Learning Difficult Parts of a Song!
There may be some parts in your selected song that you may find difficult to master on.
- Identify areas that are causing problem and further split them in to smaller chunks. Spend some extra minutes on those pieces. Do not ignore problem area. Make sure that you master over it as it would be good for you over long run. Ignoring problem areas can result in frustration at a later stage.
- When you think that you have mastered on that difficult part, play it through again in order to identify if there still exists some problem areas. Keep practicing that difficult part even when you have mastered on it so that you don’t forget it.
- Make sure that you end your session of practicing the song by playing correct version. If you end on practicing session while playing a part wrong, you may end up remembering the incorrect version only. Ending session with correct version would keep correct playing of track in your mind for your next practice session.
Other Helpful Tips:
- A beautiful song can be a great motivation for learning. So choose a song that you feel close to your heart and love to hear.
- Songs usually follow a certain pattern and before learning the entire track to play on piano it is important to familiarize yourself with the pattern of track.
- Frustration may demotivate you towards playing this instrument. Thus if you begin to feel frustrated during a session, relax and take a break from practice. Do not rush learning and in order to learn efficiently you should have a relaxed state of mind and body.
- In order to learn well, you must also be well aware of all the theory of music. You can consult some music books or can take lessons from some good piano learning websites in order to know the basics of music. Knowing basics would enable you to better understand structure of a song and thus would speed up your process of learning.
- Be flexible with your regular practice. You don’t need to spend strictly 2 hours for practice session. You can reduce your practice time frame according to your preference and feasibility.
Love to learn in order to learn well. Frustration and stress could result in demotivation so avoid this state. If you feel that you have spent a lot of time over a piece and are unable to get it on right track, leave practice for some moments, take deep breaths and relax. You can even listen to song quietly, sit back and relax. Do not rush and speed up in order to learn quickly, results could be negating. Consistency and calm state of mind is important for effective piano learning.