When you start learning piano, it may appear to be a daunting task but as you proceed and make progress it would make you happy. Playing piano offers different benefits. It helps you relax, when you are stressed. It helps you feel good when you are upset. Playing this instrument can lift up your mood. It could make you a happier person. You can play joyful melodies as well as some low-tempo slow songs. Apart from making you happy, piano if learned professionally and seriously could prove to be a great source of income. If you put your complete potential and end up learning really well, you can earn a good amount of money by playing piano. So whoever wishes to learn piano really quick and effectively, here we have outlined some tips to guide you:
Have a goal: For every practice session, you must set a goal and a timeline to achieve that goal. You can set a goal to master to a certain piece of melody or tone and can practice for about 20-30 minutes as required each day on that tone until you have mastered on it. When you become perfect, you can transpose to another goal.
Play with a friend: It is the best way of learning. You can accompany a friend of play with other people in a band and you will notice great improvement in your rhythm. Sometimes when you are practicing alone it gets really hard to concentrate on improvement of your rhythm. Best practices for improvement are musical ear and sight reading. This method will also make your practice more fun.
Don’t worry about mistakes: Temporarily ignore your mistakes and do not stress out yourself. If you would remain worried about making mistakes, you will be able to reach nowhere. For every new thing your try, you would be making mistakes and these mistakes would enable you to come closer to your goal. Whenever you identify making a mistake, correct and move on.
Learn basics of chords: Before you step in to the world of complex tones and pieces, begin with learning to play basic chords. First get yourself master on simple chords and play many popular music numbers that are made around simple chords. You will enjoy learning those and once you master on them, you can then progress steadily over classical ones. Get a hold on basic piano skills first before moving on to complex ones.
Have a clear and focused mind: There are days when you are not in mood or something goes wrong in life, these days you shouldn’t practice as all. In order to learn well, your mind must be in the right state to be able to focus well and practice well. If you are having a bad day, go out and have some fresh air. You may watch a movie or read a book. Once you are feeling right, you can then start practicing.
Have a right mindset: You may not be able to learn well if you do not have the right approach in mind. Practice by force will result in only boredom and you will end up giving it up. If you have passion and are able to concentrate on your practice sessions, you will surely make a great improvement. At a time, you must focus on one area for improvement whether a new piece, chord or scale. With right mindset you will make improvement and this improvement will keep you focused and motivated for further sessions.
Visualize yourself: One of the most effective ways of learning piano is by visualizing your own performance (practice). Visualize your picture in mind with you playing a piece of tone with fingers pressing down keys for notes with your hand positions and shapes of chord. Visualize more details and you will be able to make quick improvements.
Things to Remember
- Do not compare your progress with others. You may find some of your companions who have mastered as a particular technique and you may find some who are not making good progress. It all depends upon how dedicated you are? your personal preferences, skills and practice. Just concentrate on improving your weak areas with focus and dedication.
- It may not be completely necessary to be able to read musical notations however if you learn to read music sheets it is going to hugely benefit your piano learning.
- You may not be able to pick up pieces and tones at first but do not lose hope and give up. Practice more by breaking down the piece or lowering the tempo. Learn smaller pieces and then join them together.
- Broaden your skills by learning other musical styles too.
- Do not worry about time you are taking to learn a skill. It may take a longer time for you to learn a concept and be perfect at it and you may learn something really quick. Don’t take stress.
- Do not make appearance on public or post your practice sessions/performances on social media or other channels before you have reached a certain level of perfection. People may criticize and it may bring your morale down.
- Learning to play a high-end digital piano may take a lot of time. You need to be patient as it is a task that would consume a lot of time. Just keep your hopes high but have a realistic approach.
- Practice slowly; do not rush at full speed. You can best and quickly learn a piece by playing it slowly. If you play really fast, your fingers may be forgetting notes.
- For all those people who have some kind of disabilities or deformed spine, you may need to practice piano depending upon your body preferences. It may be different from all those who have a completely abled body. There may be some limitations as you may not be able to follow some techniques. Also it may hurt if you force your body to remain in a proper posture that is required for playing piano effectively.
- If your hands or fingers are short, you may not be able to work well on a traditional piano. Instead try using an electric keyboard/digital piano.
Stay focused and even if you are making mistakes, do not step practicing. Identify places where you are lacking and make efforts for improvement. You will see progress with timely and regular practice and soon you will become an expert pianist. This iconic instrument would prove to be the most rewarding instrument as with developed skills you will be able to play impressively and confidently.