Many of you may be facing slow progress or might not be satisfied with results of your piano practice sessions, this could be leading you to frustration with practicing and learning this instrument. Lack of motivation is the prime reason because of which many students skip lessons or leave learning piano completely. Piano learners at many point of times go through this problem and may not be aware of what are the reasons behind it. Here we are highlighting some of the most common reasons and awareness to these reasons could help you in overcoming your struggle with piano.
1. Lack of Schedule and Proper Content for Practice!
Many piano players do not know how, when and what to practice. Having an effective schedule and content for practicing piano is extremely important. Many students do not work with a schedule and think that any time they get can be used for practicing anything. They may include many things in their sessions that can be overwhelming however the intensions are always good. But one must divide time and sessions effectively and create a practice schedule with goals decided for each session so that success can be evaluated for each session. When you don’t have specific schedule and goals, you remain in ambiguity of whether you are moving in right direction with right speed or not. This could leave you demotivated.
- Have a daily practice schedule.
- Include different quantities of each ingredient in order to amplify the outcome of your practice.
- Do not over or under practice.
- Work on skills that needs improvement in reality and avoid gravitating on skills that you love to practice. Hold back on skills that are already well-developed and polish other skills.
- Work on specific goals.
- Design your practice schedules while evaluating your own self.
2. Working within a Restricted World!
Music especially when worked with piano has the beauty of being limitless. When you make practicing piano a boring routine with limited techniques, expressions and emotions; you are doing no good to your piano playing skills. In order to maintain high motivation levels, you should work out of the box and explore all the new possibilities that would give you a positive mindset. When you don’t have variety in your learning process, you may face frustration and burn out with boring practices.
Today technology have made everything so easier and interesting. You get so much to explore over internet and with various tools available for getting yourself inspired, you can opt for challenges and opportunities that would make your process of learning piano more interesting and focused.
- Look at your surroundings for inspiration with learning, practicing and playing different piano music.
- Integrate and master at new techniques and skills so that you can add intelligent variety to your routine practice sessions.
- Adding variety is not similar to random switching from one item to another but it is sensible approach about strategic addition of variety.
- Music tools and apps are fun ways of creating music. Use and practice those tools and apps in real context.
3. Lack of Focus on your Musical Dreams!
Have your eyes on the bigger picture that should be your ultimate piano learning goal. Look at your short-term practice session goals as your building blocks towards your ultimate goal. Have a real vision and work towards achieving your small goals to reach for your musical dream. Remember that your ultimate goal of becoming a professional expert pianist could take years but with hard work and dedication in the right direction would help you in reaching that goal. When you have your eyes at your big dream, small failures and struggles would not frustrate or demotivate you.
- Remember that consistency is the key to success.
- Take one step at a time towards your goal, you cannot turn yourself in to a pro pianist overnight.
- Small successes may appear insignificant but they are stepping stones towards fulfilling successful results.
- Believe in yourself and your goals.
4. Expecting Instant Positive Outcomes!
Just as we said earlier, you may not be able to get bigger results overnight. Many piano students loose motivation if they do not see results quickly. They even abandon one method of practicing or learning and look for something else if they don’t see results. This should not be your approach. Consistent practice is important for anything that you need to achieve and thus one must understand that a piano practice approach may only prove successful if you consistently work with a positive attitude towards it.
- Give each approach some time, hard work and dedication before evaluating effectiveness of that method.
- Do not randomly switch methods and move on to next thing, if something is not giving you results. Analyze if you have given required time and efforts and what could be the reasons for that process to not work for you.
A quick and clear analysis of what you want to achieve and how you are working towards achieving those goals would never loosen up your spirit and motivation towards piano practice. Look for any problems that may hinder your process of developing your piano playing skills and work towards making this process smoothers, easier and interesting for you. Keep the fire of learning alive and you will be able to accomplish your task at hand.