Doing something for long extended hours can become boring and so can your regular piano practice if you are not adopting ways of making it more interesting. Being serious about learning to play piano doesn’t mean that you need to get yourself bored by sitting for hours on piano repeating same thing again and again. The first step towards successful learning is to get rid of this negative idea of boring practice sessions from your mind before your start a piano learning session. Don’t take stress but get yourself ready for dedicated time and focusing on learning musical notes. This certainly wouldn’t be boring and soon you will be able to play on your own with more fun and freedom.
Methods of Learning to Play Piano
Here we have shared some different ways for learning piano and you can choose one of the methods that makes learning this interesting instrument more fun for you.
Basics of Learning Sessions:
- Buy a piano: In order to effectively learn playing piano, you should have one such instrument at home. If you have an acoustic piano, make sure it is in good condition and is tuned well. If you don’t own a grand piano and want to have something under budget and more portable, you can get a digital piano or keyboard. Digital pianos and keyboards are great options and these instruments offer you additional sound effects, features and ease of storage and travelling that you cannot find with a grand piano.
- Know Basic Fundamentals of Piano: Before beginning to learn to play piano, you must have some basic knowledge of various components of this instrument including keys, notes, chords You can learn about these things in detail from varied sources available online or can even refer books.
- Notes: Notes are written letters from the alphabets including C-D-E-F-G-A-B. These ABCs of music you will easily get a grasp on with practice.
- Keys: Piano includes 88 keys in all. These are a combination of white and black keys. White keys are known to be natural ones and as the name suggest they produce natural sound while black keys are called accidental or flat keys making sharp sound when pressed.
- Chords: A piano includes varied range of chords however the most common ones that are frequently used include major, minor, augmented and diminished.
- Hire a good instructor: This is one of the best ways of learning to play this impressive musical instrument. This method however would be costly but proves to be most effective way and many of the beginners have had most benefits out of this method. A good instructor will teach you all the basics and good habits of playing piano correctly. He/she should have musical literacy, experience and relevant knowledge in order to give youcorrect learning patterns.
- Online Resources and Websites: Another effective method is to follow varied learning tutorials that are available online. You pay a membership fee for advance level training sessions however you can also find some good piano lessons websites offering free basic knowledge at varied skill levels.
- Get Instructional Books: Many well-written professional instructional books are available in market. These can be bought from musical stores and book shops too. These books are also easy to follow and understand and they give you a comprehensive step by step guide for learning piano. You will get to learn ways of reading musical notes, playing at varied scales, different chords progressions, simple notes as well as complex ones as you progress ahead in your learning to advance levels of these books.
- Visual Learning: Another useful method is to learn visually by keeping an eye as the music is played over a piano. This method gives you a chance to imitate performance successfully.
- Audio Learning: One of the toughest methods is to play by ear. This method needs you to play notes over and over again until you successfully replicate given musical melody. This method would work well for those who are not able to learn notes.
Some important tips for piano learning students
Here we are sharing a set of tips and tricks that would aid you in piano learning sessions and would enable you to make good progress.
- Don’t strain yourself or be stressed about learning something. Make piano learning more of a fun thing.
- Start practicing with one hand first as you may find it difficult to use both hands in the beginning. Each hand must be practiced separately for a melody for a few times and then you can use both hands to practice together. This will give you improved coordination of both the hands.
- In the beginning practice and play with sustain pedal down. With pedal pushed down, you will be able to hear yourself louder and clearer and thus will be able to get a hold of your mistakes to correct them making way for improved performance.
- Practice well as this is the only way to success. You cannot skip practicing until and unless it is something very serious. Regular practicing schedule should be strictly followed if you are serious about making progress in learning piano.
- Even if you have hired an instructor, go through various online tutorials and books whenever you get time.
By adopting right methods and by following all the tips for correct learning of piano, you will be able to make your practice sessions more interesting and less of a hassle. Enjoying in whatever you do is extremely crucial for effective and quicker learning. Share your progress with your family and friends, play for them in small groups and gatherings and with time and practice you will be able to gain complete confidence, knowledge and learning of giving a flawless performance in a large gathering.