First musical performances and live shows are important for career of any musician who is a beginner in the field and wishes to make his mark in the industry. Such shows include performances that connect new musicians with audiences and they may get some hardcore fans who would remain connected with the musician for a lifetime. First musical piano show gives pianists a privilege to get attention and time of their audiences and thus your entire performance should be focused on being in the shoes of your spectators. With time your method of entertainment and trends of music may change but there are certain rules and tips that can be followed for making a mark in heart of your audiences with your very first musical show with piano.
Tips for your First Live Musical Show with Piano!
Many of the beginners wish to have a solid first live show but fail on achieving this goal. There are certain areas that they lack on and thus fail to please their audiences by not meeting their expectations.
Prepare Yourself Prior to Show:
Not only the day of your first musical show but the day and night just before it is extremely important in order to do well at the show. Follow these tips for prior preparations:
- Practice well ahead of time but do not overdo it and stress yourself out.
- Take a good sleep the night before.
- Have proper meal time but do not overeat.
- Keep some healthy snacks and a water bottle with you as you travel for your show.
- Make sure that you are wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Take copies of your music sheet along with you.
- Do some stretching before show and warm up.
- Your first show, so it is okay to be nervous. Breathe well and think positive. Remember stage fright is something that even professional pianists face and it is perfectly normal.
Important Success Tips:
- Get Hands on the Instrument First: Usually pianists nowadays carry their own digital pianos for performances. Make sure that the instrument is in proper working condition. If that is not the case and you already have an instrument installed at the venue of your live show, make sure to try your hands over the instrument before your show actually begins in order to avoid any problem at the time of the show in front of audiences.
- Begin with a Bang: In order to get attention of your audiences and to attract them it is important to begin loud and strong. A performance that is weak in the beginning, audiences may begin to lose their attention and connection with it and then connecting with them at a later stage would become difficult. Begin by setting up a certain mood with your tone and melody. Know your audiences and be aware of what would compel them.
- Touch a Variety of Genres: Your versatility would be your key to success whether you are performing alone or in a group. Include different ranges and genre of songs as you play over piano and take the risk of getting out of one zone of comfort. This diversity in your performance would prove to be a good idea to connect to too many audiences through one live show.
- Be Confident and Use Nervousness as a Tool for Success: As we said earlier, it is completely normal to be nervous. Remember that it is a sign of confidence in itself that you have the courage to come to a stage and perform in front of a number of people who you don’t really know. This proves you to be a better performer than many other pianists and be proud of it. Don’t be afraid to be the center of attention of so many people. Just remember that people are here to get something unique and interesting out of the time and money they have spent for your live piano show and focus on delivering them that quality.
- Don’t Worry about Mistakes: A few missed notes or any minor mistakes are easily overlooked or forgiven by audiences. Even in many cases these mistakes go unnoticed. So you should not worry about those minor mistakes but continue playing with complete passion and you will find yourself producing some really wonderful pieces of music over piano. Playing piano is all about passion and a skill that you have learnt with interest. So just focus and play with complete intensity and dedication and it would automatically come out wonderful.
- You don’t have Much Time: Audiences would not be staying there for your show for the whole day or night. It would be minutes or possibly an hour of performance in total especially if the performance is solo. However the most important part of your show would be first few minutes and last few minutes. This is where you would need to gain and hold attention of your audiences and appeal them throughout.
- Connect with Audiences: Also focus on your behavior and facial expressions. Always introduce yourself with a smile and remember to have eye contact with audiences. Your tone should be warm and face should be smiling and welcoming. If you yourself appear bored with your facial expressions, you cannot expect your audiences to have fun with your musical performance. Show complete confidence, love and enjoy whatever you are performing if you want your audiences to love your performance too.
- Take Feedback and appreciate it: It may be difficult to evaluate feedbacks from a bunch of audiences but take feedbacks and consider all serious suggestions. Also take feedback from other pianists who have performed before and take them positively for further accelerating your performances in future.
First live musical show with piano may appear a little tough for beginners but as time will pass and with experience you will get through it while learning from mistakes, low turnouts and some not so perfect performances. The key is not to be disappointment and keep it going. Just make sure that your performance offers value in the form of distinctive features and uniqueness for audiences and you will be able to get a good fan following. Passion and working hard for your live shows would reward you with a good fan base.