Digital pianos offer you impressive sound along with a feel and dynamics of an acoustic piano. Larger tones and ranges are offered with varied models and brands of pianos and these are result of different key actions and strings that are built with them. Sound is reproduced with contact of a key with strip and this contact gives an electrical charge to processor which in turn gives sound. Keys are definitely important aspect of sound reproduction and if keys are damaged, loose, dirty or sticky; it would surely affect playability and would give you sound interference. Thus user needs to keep an eye on keys and examine/fix them when required.
Experience with keys that stuck
Nothing could be more annoying than keys that get stuck while playing a digital piano. The entire experience of playing and flow of sound will be affected and ruined if keys stuck. All the efforts would become useless if this is the problem with your keyboard. The main issue could be dirt or grime between keys of the keyboard and in this situation; you only need to clean up keys.
Some instructions for fixing piano keys:
1. Keys stuck, cleaning dirty keys:
- Determine material of your keys: First determine what is the material of your digital piano keys? If you have those ebony black and ivory white keys, you need to clean them with extensive care. Many of the digital pianos now days have plastic keys. If you witness some yellowing in your white keys, have grain and you will be able to see a join between bottom and top layers of keys. If not then you have plastic ones.
- Use a damp cloth for cleaning of your keys and make them dry.
- Use a small amount of liquid soap with a damp cloth.
- Clean dirty keys with this cloth. Your grip must be firm but rubbing must be light.
- Gently rub keys until they are completely clean.
- These steps can be followed for plastic keys but for ivory keys, you would need to get ivory scrapper.
2. If keys still stuck:
- If keys still stuck, check cleaning instructions specific for your piano brand. You can find these instructions in user manual and can search for help online. You will easily find cleaning instructions for many of the leading brands of digital pianos.
- Keys may become unstick as you wiggle your fingers through them up and down gently.
- You can try pressing down the keys that stuck and others adjacent to them. You can release the keys by using a flathead screwdriver. Insert it gently between keys that stuck, drive them apart and twist it slightly.
3. Broken Keys:
- Find out where the problem lies if the keys are not stuck because of dirt and they are not sounding correct. One of your keys may be broken.
- In order to remove the broken key, remove screws of the keyboard from both sides and lift up casing of the board.
- Remove the key stop on the front of board. This stop keeps the keys from moving.
- Push the key down that you want to remove and unhook it from the frame. In order to prevent from other keys to come out, you may need to slide in a thin object down towards the key to separate it.
- Use cleaner and rag to clean the entire bedding of key. Cleaning the piano would improve playability of piano.
- Now when you are done removing the broken one put the key stop back and reassembles the keyboard.
4. Seek for help from a Professional Technician:
If you still have warranty for your digital piano, you can contact your dealer directly and can seek for professional help rather than spending time and efforts for repairing keys of your digital piano on your own. In order to avail warranty repair service, follow instructions mentioned by your dealer or manufacturer. Check your phone book to look for repair and specialist service if the digital piano no longer has warranty claim possibility.
- You must never make use of any chemical cleaning agent or bleaches for cleaning your keyboard keys as it can cause a permanent damage to your digital piano.
- Humidity can be a problem that may be responsible for improper working of your digital piano. Humidity can swell keys and they may stick. If other repairs are not working, you can consider humidity as the main issue for improper working of key functions.
A wide range of digital pianos are available in market and thus each one of them may have some different requirements and instructions to follow. Improper working of piano keys can be main issue if you are witnessing some problem with sound, feel or other dynamics of your keyboard. Keys can be problem which may be giving your wrong sound effects and or some of them may not be creating any sound at all. Repair the keys if they are under warranty or you can get them repaired by yourself if the warranty period is over. By following the above mentioned simple steps and tips, you can get your digital piano keyboard keys repaired for best results of sound and feel.