Technological advancements have completely revolutionized the way music was taught and learnt. However, when we talk about the iPads, it has taken music education to another level where pretty much everything related to music can be taught through different apps. These iPad apps are enhancing teaching methods and for following reasons many teachers prefer to use iPads in comparison to other tablets as effective tool for music education:
- They make music lessons more interactive with widest selection of apps available.
- Apps are more reliable.
- The iPads have enhanced connectivity options.
- Resolution and screen sizes of iPads are great.
- Simple and interesting tool to use for learning.
- Lots of free apps are available to use.
- Impressive aural and rhythmic testing software are available with iPads.
Best iPad Apps for Music Education:
A number of free built-in apps are available with iPads including audio/video recorders, emails, word processors and more that would aid in teaching but you would need to download some other brilliant apps and may need to invest on them. Here are some of the beat iPad apps for music teachers:
- Piano Maestro: This iPad only app is free for teacher accounts as well as for students who connect with a teacher account. This app includes music for students to play and students can also listen to the acoustic piano with microphone connection of iPad. No wired connection would be needed but you can connect to a keyboard with headphones and assess student’s performance for accuracy of rhythm and notes. Progress of student would be saved and points will be given to make the experience more interesting and helpful.Joy Tunes’ Piano Maestro is an in-depth piano education tool that offers fun and engaging piano practice and significantly reduces the time frame of learning piano.
- Music for Little Mozarts: Corresponding with the famous piano method book by Alfred, the Music for Little Mozarts; this app is an ideal tool for teaching piano to pre-school and Kindergarten students. By using Mozart Mouse and Beethoven Bear characters; high/low sounds, piano keys, notes and other aspects of piano music are taught to children. It is a kids-friendly app.
- Piano Dust Buster: This app gives students an ability to play real piano at home. There is also an in-app piano where certain songs can be played. Keys to be played along for available songs are prompted on the screen with the use of dust bunnies and grandma figure. Free Piano Dust Buster app could be upgraded to a monthly subscription where the premium version gives you hundreds of songs for varied piano genre as well as concert mode with which you can compete with worldwide users of this app. App doesn’t need any wires and an acoustic piano can activate it or you can do it by touch as well. The app would listen to your piano and will tell you how to play. Two different modes are available to choose from (players who can read music and players who can’t read music). Turns learning in to a game as player helps Granny in dusting off the piano as they play correct note. Points and bonus collection makes it more interesting.
- Music Theory for Beginners: This iPad app is a fantastic app for beginners as well as intermediate learners. It includes multiple lessons, tutorials and tests that covers basic music theory and can be an effective tool for reinforcing concepts. Along with basic, there are some advanced tutorials too that includes topics such as major/minor chords, key signatures and others. The app also includes sign-in feature under your name that enables to keep track of the student’s progress in tutorials and assessments.
- Piano 3D:This app features the 3D graphics quality and thus is an interesting tool to play piano on your iPad device. For learning a particular song, you just need to tap and select the song and keys would illuminate on your piano. It also has in-app recording feature and you can even share your performance/practice on social media with its upload feature. The basic app is free but you can upgrade to monthly subscription for unlimited song library access and for other features.
- ForScore: This music reading app gives you storage and viewing of sheets in PDF format. Files can be loaded easily through Dropbox or iTunes but they need to be in PDF format. Changes can be made in these files and you can also re-order pages. It offers wireless printing feature, page turning, storing and reading of music with ease. You can use it for performance as well where you can add scores with the aid of built-in camera.
- IRealPro: This app serves as a simple tool with music book and play along feature for musicians of all levels. This app can be used in the classroom with projector and speaker system and teachers can also use it for home-based assignments in the form of various exercises included here. It offers a realistic sounding band and backing tracks for fun practicing and generation of sounds with any chords. It is also suitable for varied piano musical genre such as jazz, rock and pop. With many downloadable charts available for free, you can access and practice any of your favorite songs. The app is ideal for scales and chords exercises.
- Piano Music Note Sight Reading Trainer: Another great piano teaching app that let students learn sight reading. Real sheet music along with quizzes are included that gives teachers ease of evaluating their students. Visual aids, queues and toggle features are available for practice and lesson sections that makes it a completely helpful tool for both teachers and students learning the crucial piano sight reading skill.
Apart from these, there are thousands of other helpful iPad apps for piano teachers. Whether your student wants to learn a few songs for his family and friends or would like to learn complete skills of playing a piano, these wonderful apps with ground-breaking technology of iPad makes the process easier, quicker and more interesting for them.