Music and training of musical instrument is something that is really a rewarding experience but it truly could bring along some frustration as expertise in music could not be gained overnight. Playing an instrument as beautiful as piano is no different. It brings in some level of difficult for you especially at the beginning. You get to experience some new terms that you may not have heard before particularly for those who are new to music. Chords, melodies, scales, rhythms and there is much more for you to learn. Each one of you may have some favorite numbers that you would love to play with piano but may not be able to deliver perfection at your skill level. The main idea is to bring in regular practice in practice and work in a musical genre that appeals you the most.
Table of Contents
- 1 Famous Pop Piano Songs:
- 2 Best Rhythm and Blues Piano songs:
- 3 Famous Piano Rock Songs:
- 4 Famous Country Piano songs:
- 5 Top 3 Famous Country Songs:
- 6 Famous Jazz Piano Songs:
- 7 Famous Blues Piano Songs:
- 8 Famous Romantic Piano Songs:
- 9 Famous Dance Songs:
- 10 Conclusion:
Famous Pop Piano Songs:
Top 3 Famous Pop Songs:
Pop genre being one of the most famous piano songs category includes many glorious tracks that one should be able to play on piano with a certain amount of practice. Some of the most popular pop songs for piano include:
- Let it Be – Beatles: This song is a great number by famous English rock band the Beatles and it was released back in 1970 but yet it is a popular number. The best way to play this song on piano is to limit to chords beginning within a limited range in beginning.
- Hey Jude – Beatles: Written by Paul McCartney, Hey Jude is a pop number that was created with vocal performance and piano accompaniment of the writer. It was one of the longest songs of that time with around 7 minutes of length and it remained on charts at number 1 position for over 9 weeks.
- Piano Man – Billy Joel: First single by Billy Joel and it is termed as his signature song that earned him popularity. This popular pop piano song speaks Joel’s story as a piano lounge singer. Joel has revealed that all the characters in the song are actually based on real people.
Best Rhythm and Blues Piano songs:
Knowing about Rhythm and Blues Music:
Rhythm and blues are a popular genre of music most commonly termed as R&B. This musical genre originated back in 1940s and at the very beginning it was predominantly famous African and American music. Rhythm and blues evolved typically more with the use of piano, guitars, drums, bass and some vocalists. Usually songs from this genre were based on joy, pain, freedom, broken relationships, and economics and with other similar terms. 2004 was the peak time for R&B tracks where many of the charts had famous piano songs belonging to this genre. Today what we experience is more homogenized version of rhythm and blues.
How to play Rhythm and Blues Songs on Piano:
Rhythm and blue songs have music influenced from many different styles of music such as rock, jazz, country and others. So if you learn to play rhythm and blues songs on piano, you will find transition to other types of music to be much easier for you. These types of music have their own scales on piano and you can play it with varied tempos and moods. There could be fast tracks, slow tracks, happy tracks or even sad tracks. Follow the rhythm and proper form of blues and you will not find it difficult to play on piano.
Chord progressions and techniques are really simple with blues piano. Pianist just needs to understand chord changes and interval shifting in order to play blues and rhythm on piano comfortably.
- Begin working on 12 bar C-scale and you will be able to get a feel of blues.
- Once you are good with one scale then only move to another one. As you learn one scale well, you will be able to work with its modification too.
- When scales are good enough, proceed to practice of rhythms.
Take time to learn basics, practice and improvise your blue and rhythm songs.
Top 3 Rhythm and Blues Songs:
- Feelgood – Aretha Franklin: This song really involves some kind of serious piano playing with love being a serious business. This lady without any doubt is an absolutely wonderful piano player in the history of R&B. Her performance is really soulful with this number. This is a long piano song but it would instantly appeal you.
- Love and Happiness – Charles Hodges: Featuring a classical tune with a course of R&B music is this number by Hodges. The track kicks in with the introduction of organ and its formation makes it a pleasing track.
- No Diggity – Blackstreet: Featuring Dre and Queen Pen is a smashing R&B hit by Blackstreet. This track was released as a clear number back in 1996 and its piano riff became easily popular and recognizable among audiences. Its chorus is simply unforgettable.
Famous Piano Rock Songs:
Knowing about Rock Music:
Rock is one of the most interesting genres of music that is usually liked among most of the people. Majority of rock singers choose piano as a lead instrument and many of them use guitar too. Along with them drum kits, synthesizers and other organs are used to complement rock music. Rock music has a unique sound but this genre is also influenced by blues, country, rhythm and other styles of music. Rock music is a diverse field and it includes pop rock, folk rock, blues rock, jazz rock and many other kinds. But usually songs in this genre are composed with 4/4 time signature.
Tips for Playing Rock Songs on Piano:
Playing rock piano would not appear to be difficult if you know some of the tactics and techniques. Here we are sharing some important tips that you can incorporate for successful rock piano playing.
- One of the best methods of learning to play rock songs is to watch other professionals play. As you will watch them performing, you will be able to learn how actually rock piano works. You will be able to learn professional hand rocking tips and techniques that would prove useful for playing rock songs on piano.
- For most of the classic rock patterns, you would need to increase the energy of song. One ideal way of doing so is to make the rhythm faster and you can add some repetitive compelling phrases and fills.
- For impressive rock playing, a pianist would need to gain good understanding of rhythm and would need to work on your chords. Mastering rhythm and chords is the key to gaining rock piano playing skill.
- For classical rock progression, your chord progression should include first, fourth and fifth notes of a scale.
- Blues notes and blues scales are another way of adding flair to your rock piano performance.
Top 3 Rock Songs:
- Tiny Dancer – Elton John: Lyrics revolving around the bandwagon groupie tiny dancer girl, this song from 1970 would make you fly with its music and further effects are building up with chorus. Surprisingly this tiny dancer only became live with Kate Hudson in Almost Famous and since then this piano song became most famous.
- Fallin – Alicia Keys: Debut single released in 2001 from debut album of Alicia Keys, Fallin’ is a rock track that won her the song of the year Award. Beautifully embraced with lyrics and soulful voice, this song is an impressive visual piano performance.
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele: This song originally from 1997 by Bob Dylan was turned in to a popular rock track by Adele in 2008. The main impact was brought in to this song by playing it beautifully well over piano.
Famous Country Piano songs:
Knowing about Country Music:
Country music is a popular style of music with its origin from United States. This style of music is generated from folk music including blues that has been used in history. Much of it includes simple dance tunes, melodies and ballads. However country music is now used to describe different styles of music. Country music became much popular during 1940s. Americans have included pop songs, Irish and Celtic tunes to bring in country music traditions. A variety of moods can be added to country music to make it more interesting and expressive.
Advices for Playing Country Songs on Piano:
Country music can also be created over piano as its leading instrument. The style of country music is much relaxed and simple in comparison to other genres of music. Some spices can be added to country music in order to make them sound more interesting and flavorful on piano.
- Try playing country music using simple chords especially when you are a beginner. With simple chords and simple methods you will be able to deliver highly satisfying versions of country music.
- It would be wise for you to learn about the melody first. Don’t look for the chords first but just try to memorize the melody first.
- Letters and number methods prove useful can be used for ease of referencing of simple chords and progressions.
- Addition of intervals, grace notes and tremolos would further spice up country songs on piano.
Top 3 Famous Country Songs:
- Don’t Stop Believing – Journey: This country song is one of the biggest hits of 1980s where it stole the show and was featured in popular shows and movie including Family Guy, Scrubs, Monster and others.
- Your Song – Elton John: Your Song became the first track by Elton John to hit the charts. This song since then was being performed at each of his concerts and became really famous. Although it is a simple love song but it is beautifully written and composed.
- Piano Man – Billy Joel: Billy Joel has carried out his own experiences while working at a popular piano bar in his early years. This song is one of the most famous piano songs and depicts the score where a man is expressing his regrets of failure and how he finds happiness.
Famous Jazz Piano Songs:
- I’ve Got the World On A String – Earl Hines: Brilliant solo piano work is given that is well-known from the past for this song. It is ever so innovating and stunning pianism track that is a good measure in Jazz music and modern harmony.
- Naima – McCoy Tyner: This session from 1988 is one of the first jazz piano recordings that created a lasting effect and influence in jazz piano music. This powerful and soulful music is an interesting approach to solo piano.
- Night Train – Oscar Peterson: By famous pianist in the world of jazz music, this track instantly gained popularity with its emphasis on melody. Roots are funky and this song is a perfect modernist form of music.
Famous Blues Piano Songs:
Knowing about Blues Music:
Blues musical style is a melodious form of music that has been influenced by pop, jazz and rock. It features 12 bar blues forms and blues scales are often used in pop songs too. Many of the famous rock and jazz performers have been witnessed performing blues too because of its similarity of essence with those genres. Blues are clearly known by their instrumentations, lyrics along with their bass lines. In early times, blues were songs that included a single line that is repeated multiple times in a song. But over the years, pattern has changed and blues now have different elements and transitions.
How to Play Blue Songs on Piano?
Blue has a unique scale and it could be played in a variety of forms but there are some tips that would make learning and playing piano blue songs easier for beginners.
- Best would be to begin using your left hand for long rhythms and right one for fancy elements added to the song.
- Practice your long rhythms as much as you can so that you memorize them and you can use your mind to play those rhythms with your fingers on piano.
- Get help from a good beginner’s book for blues on piano that illustrates fingering, chords, notes and scales in an easy to understand form.
- Learn all the chords, triads and dominant 7th
- Blues are commonly in 12 bar forms so mastering those common bars is important.
- Learn about pentatonic and blues scales and phrases.
- Listen to popular piano blues songs and try to memorize their rhythms.
- Practice is the key to learning blue rhythms. But don’t forget to have fun while learning to play signature blue lick on piano.
- You can become a proficient and professional pianist if you learn to jam with other pianists playing blue.
Top 3 Blues Songs:
- Boogie Woogie Stomp – Albert Ammons: By famous American pianists, the Albert Ammons makes a perfect yet decent attempt on piano with this ever so impressive number and it was recorded at the Chicago’s Pershing Hotel in 1958. Varied versions of this song were released later on too.
- Steppin’ Out – Memphis Slim: Blues-instrumental composition Steppin’ Out is one of the most cherished piano performance by Memphis Slim. Released by Vee-Jay Records, this single track has an opening piano harmony that moves on in a spectacular manner.
- The Snow Is Falling – Ray Charles: The Snow is Falling is one of the best tracks by famous pianist Ray Charles. It appeared in the album Hey Now in 1992. Vocal influences and blues elements were displayed in this track.
Famous Romantic Piano Songs:
Knowing about Romantic Music:
Western classical music that began in late 18’s and early 19’s, Romantic music grew in popularity especially in Germany. With the emergence of this musical genre, music happened to become more expressive, artistic and expanded with philosophical themes. Dramatic expansion was witnessed with this type of music and a number of composers joined the mission. These musicians delivered some really complex yet beautiful pieces of romantic music. Rules of musical romanticism where laid by E.T.A. Hoffmann and he elevated formality and instrumentation of music to an enhanced position. This era was based on extreme subjectivism, fascination; a run towards mystic and supernatural traits and a lot more came in for aspiring musicians.
How to Play Romantic Songs on Piano?
Playing a romantic song on piano might not be as difficult as it sounds. Some simple notes with their improvisations can be used to play some romantic tunes on piano.
- Begin with your left hand starting with a minor third to begin with and play two notes.
- Use your right hand to improvise on those notes by hitting any of the white keys (any one at all).
- Work on simple melodies and add them to your romantic number to make it sound more interesting and melodious.
- You can build a great romantic song by adding beautiful harmonies to it.
- Different techniques and notes can be used to make your romantic song on piano.
Top 3 Romantic Songs:
- Rose Titanic Theme – James Horner: Composition that became world famous for its powerful piano music and beautiful vocals. This theme song has a distinctive character with its minor tone. It aids in telling a story of love to someone close and special.
- Leibestraum Dream of Love – Franz Liszt: Ever so romantic track with sweet and pleasing music composed by Liszt to describe a passionate love story. Piano music given for this song is interesting and composer has played piano at its best with all the emotions included.
- Piano Concerto # 1 – Frederic Chopin: Frederic Chopin is a popular pianist who has given a number of amazing tunes and music. This one was first written in 1830 and it was first concerto by this pianist to get published. It can be termed as Chopin being at his best.
Famous Dance Songs:
Knowing about Dance Music:
Dance music is a piece of music that is used to accompany dance performances. It could be live dance music or can be a recorded version of it. Dance music has its roots back from the ancient times where many musicians used to accompany dancers. These musical pieces are reproduced in the western world with certain changes made to make the dance music survive according to modern times. Social dance music and western ballroom dance emerged during late 19th century and various dance music bears different names such as ballads, tango, salsa, soul, funk, pop and many others.
Tips for Playing Dance Songs on Piano:
- In order to play dance music well on piano, you need to have a complete knowledge of this musical instrument along with its musical theory.
- Practice, practice and practice! One of the most effective ways of learning to play this musical genre is by listening to popular artists and tracks. The more dance melodies you will listen to, the more helpful this exercise would be for your own dance compositions and playability.
- Dance numbers need you to play with complete freedom. Creativity is the key to becoming a successful pianist.
- Good melodies need you to set a bass line and work with varied chord progressions. Decide on the chords of your dance track and then pitch them with scales and progressions that could be mixed well with your song.
- Interesting and lively melody is what gives life to your musical piece and would make it memorable. Mix your track with variations to an extent that keeps the beauty and originality of a track.
Top 3 Dance songs for playing on piano:
- Move Your Body – Marshall Jefferson: Marshall made his debut single Move your Body in 1986 and this shaped the sound of first house record, Chicago house that featured piano. With captivating vocals and interesting piano music, this song became the most popular dance number played over piano.
- Rhythm is Rhythm – Strings of Life: Electronic dance music that comes with a crucial tuning revealing complete potential of piano music is this track that is known to be a hot piano dance number. This track is a combination of swopping and jangling through piano with impressive string samples gathered in an energetic form.
- Playing with Knives – Bizarre: Featuring electronic dance music, playing with Knives is a dance number by British group. This song was created in 1991 but reached peak popularity in charts through 1999 when it was released for the 3rd Various versions and elements of these songs were later produced and used.
When it comes to playing piano, there are a number of popular piano songs that one can play and practice belonging from different genres. There are pianists and composers from history who have composed melodious tracks that became most popular and hit the charts. Greatest piano pieces of all times have made practicing and learning piano more interesting for both beginners as well as those who are expert professional pianists.