In order to make sure that your digital piano keys stay in best condition to offer you exclusive piano playing performance, you need to make it certain that they are frequently cleaned. Keyboard needs cleaning and frequency of cleaning would depend upon how often you are using your digital piano. For example if you are running an institute where you are teaching students how to play a digital piano. You may need to clean up keyboard for fingerprints that would be collected each week. On the other hand if the piano is used quite seldom, then you may need to clean it in 6 months or in a year. Proper maintenance however is needed in order to keep your piano look beautiful and perform efficiently. Many of the modern rebuilt pianos have plastic keys as opposed to older ivory and ebony white and black keys. If you are not sure of what kind of keys your piano has, you must seek help of a professional in order to clean up effectively. Piano plastic keys give you less trouble when cleaning is considered.
How to clean your piano keys?
For effective cleaning of digital piano keys without fear of damaging them, you must follow these simple steps:
- Prepare a solution for cleaning. Take a small bowl and put some warm water with 2 drops of a light dish washing liquid.
- Now take a clean damp cloth which should be color-free and soft. Damp it slightly in the solution and rub it gently over all the white keys individually. This process would remove any fingerprints or dust lying on keys. After that, take another dry soft cloth and wipe off any moisture that may be lying on the keyboard.
- Now take another soft cloth and dampen it with the cleaning solution for wiping off all the black keys. Follow similar steps for wiping off moisture.
- All the keys then must be dried with a dry cloth.
- A commercial cleaning spray can be used for digital pianos and you can easily get your digital piano keyboard clean.
- If the keyboard is really dirty, you may use soap or a mild detergent mixed with little water. Make sure that each time you use a clean soft cloth for cleaning. Moisten the cloth a little and move it through the keybed. Use another cloth for wiping off the keys. Make sure that no water drips in to the keyboard or it may damage keys. It is important to dry all the keys with a clean soft cloth.
- In case if you are not able to remove some stains, you should contact a technician or professional tuner for help. Do not try to clean them on your own with harsh chemicals or abrasives.
Some Important Tips
- In order to prevent dust from being accumulated over your piano, you should keep the piano covered when not in use. Even if the piano is open, you can use a long rectangular felt strip as a cover for keys.
- Avoid using or drinking liquids close to your piano as spills can happen that can cause damage.
- When you begin to play piano, you must always wash your hands. If your piano is being used by kids for learning, you must ask them to wash hands before using too.
- With the digital pianos that have cabinet style, you may need to get cabinet polished. When needed polish cabinet but avoid polishes or spray cleaners that have silicone.
- Your digital piano must be placed away from windows in order to prevent it from extreme sunlight, cold or hot air and humidity.
To make keys white again
With passage of time and with usage, your piano white keys may begin to appear yellow. In order to make these keys white again and as good as new, follow these steps:
- Take half cup vinegar and mix with 2 cups of water. This mixture must be applied to a soft cloth. Make sure that the cloth is damped and no water should be leaking from it that could damage keys. Wipe the keys with cloth and wipe them again with a dry clean cloth. Make sure that no moisture remains on these keys.
- Also you can use white toothpaste with a toothbrush for cleaning of white keys. Massage keys gently with the toothpaste with the use of a damp soft clean cloth. Keep the keys without cover for one night. Repeat this process once in a week and in some time you will witness that keys will begin to appear white.
For cleaning of ivory keys
- Ivory keys must be cleaned regularly with the use of a soft clean cloth. Wipe them gently regularly. A light vinegar solution with warm water can be used for cleaning of these keys occasionally only. If this practice is used for cleaning for new piano and you make sure that piano is being used with clean hands always, so you won’t need to do much for cleaning.
- Another trick for cleaning is use of white toothpaste which is really mild. Use this mild toothpaste with damp cloth (lint-free). Rub the piano keys gently for removal of stains and fingerprints from keys. Once you have applied toothpaste, you can then wipe the keys with a clean cloth dipped in fresh milk. Toothpaste will be rinsed off with the use of milk. Any use of harmful cleaners would result in discoloration of ivory keys. Keys would take few minutes to dry and then you can clean them.
- Scrapping and recovery of keys may be required by a professional if keys are badly stained or discolored.
- You must never use any harmful chemicals over your piano keys.
- Avoid using brushes or scouring pads for cleaning of keys. Use of these would further damage keys.
- Make sure that keys do not get wet while cleaning. Moisture can further damage look and performance.
- If the keys are not performing properly, they may be stuck and you must check to see if anything is lying between keys. Before seeking for help of a professional, check keys by yourself if they stick. You may find something that may be lying between keys. If there is any object that may stick, try removing it with tweezers.
- Avoid use of any hard cleaning agent or bleaches or alcohol for cleaning.
Digital pianos are usually instruments that last for years if properly maintained. Keeping keys clean is crucial for proper functioning and outlook. If you are not cautious for cleaning of keys, you may end up doing something wrong to keys. Before opting for any cleaning method, review user manual for methods that are recommended for cleaning by manufacturer. Always use piano with clean moisture free hands if you wish to keep your instrument in excellent position. Reading and following these instructions would enable you to maintain your digital piano well with effective cleaning. These practices would ensure that you enjoy playing your digital piano for many years.