Music is influential for kids as well as adults and it plays a powerful role in brain and physical development of kids when started at a young age. Music already exists in the life of kids when they are babies in the form of lullabies or rhymes you sing or play for them. This however is just the beginning of their journey that would offer them numerous benefits in future. Learning any sort of musical instrument stimulates creativity and a sense of enjoyment in social gathering among kids. When kids begin to learn piano they would be enjoying various hidden benefits that would uplift their body, mind and soul. No more feeling lonely and get complete instant reliefs from any depression are some of the many advantage that learning piano have to offer.
Begin the Lifetime of Music for Kids in early years
- You may be thinking it is too early for your kids to begin piano lessons but even if they can’t learn any piano playing skills, there are advantages of just listening to practice lessons. Listening piano would encourage them and would open up their mind. It would give them happiness of socializing with other people.
- Various researches have revealed that children who begin to take piano lessons at an early age show impressive improvements in reasoning and problem solving skills. Learning any instrument (especially a difficult one as piano) fires up their neural development and results in increased brain functioning. These kids thus are good grade seekers and perform better in mathematical and cognitive skill tests in comparison to others.
- Children who begin to learn music are found to cause less discipline problems in comparison to their other classmates. Most of them are dedicated towards anything they do and thus get admissions in their preferred fields and institutes too.
- Children who are capable of making music on piano on their own do not feel lonely and can enjoy their own company in a productive manner.
Apart from these there are many other benefits that come with kids taking early piano lessons.
As parents you must
- Try to make music a part of your everyday life at home.
- Give your kids exposure to varied kind of music and instruments. Take them to musical events or enjoy listening to radio with them. Just let them explore the magical music world in a variety of ways.
- If one of you is yourself a musician or singer, you can pass on the gift of music to your children.
- For preschoolers, make an instrument of your own at home with cans, broomsticks, cups etc. It would be great fun for them.
- Encouragement is an integral part of making your kids learn to play piano or any other instrument. Show interest and praise accomplishments.
- Be a role model for your kid. If you do not know to play piano, learn with your children to give them motivation.
When piano lessons offer such huge amount of benefits for development in kids, it is never too early or too late to begin piano lessons. Why not give your kids a chance to develop and enrich their lives as soon as possible?
Assess right time for learning
No other person can better understand your kids other than you and thus you need to assess yourself if it is the right time for your child to begin taking lessons or not? If you have seen a video when a 4 year old is playing piano, it doesn’t mean that you should begin lessons for your 4 year old or younger. First get your kid familiar with this instrument by introducing a piano in your house (if you don’t have it already) and check if your kid is showing interest in exploring the instrument. Some kids may not respond well to a proper learning structure and may want to explore in their own way. Cultivate music, singing, dancing and similar programs in your kids everyday life before your begin in order to prepare them for studying piano.
Here we have outlined some points that would give you a sign whether your child is ready to begin piano lessons. Most of the kids may not show these signs until the age of 5-8 and there is nothing to rush about.
- Interest in Learning Music: Being motivated is a significant part to see if your kid is ready for piano lessons. Parents must spend time with kids to inculcate interest of music in their kids and see if they have a desire to learn this instrument.
- Hand Size: When you begin piano lessons, make sure that your kid’s hands and fingers can be placed comfortably over the instrument. A grand acoustic piano may be quite a stretch for your little one and thus you can get a reasonably sized digital piano. Your kid must be comfortable using the instrument and it is a fundamental part of learning.
- Finger Movements and Independence: Your child must be able to understand movement of fingers and can use each one of them independently. This is crucial for learning piano. You can test numbers and finger movements of your child by letting them explore piano for themselves. A child who may be playing over piano with one finger may not be ready to take lessons.
Book Based Learning
If you are planning for a book based piano teaching structure, then you must wait until your child has begun to read more fluently. This means that you may begin at the age of 7 or 8. While if a listening based learning is preferred, you may begin at the age of 5 or 6.
Learning with older kids
Even if you child is beginning to take lessons at the age of 8 or later, it is not too late. Though it is fact that you will be witnessing huge benefits if you begin earlier; but with practice and desire you can develop intelligence of music irrespective of your age. It is true that early lessons make learning easier in comparison to older students. When kids are young they are less occupied and stressed with other things and they would be able to focus more and dedicate more time on practicing. Kids who have reached advance level of academics may find it difficult to take out time for practicing while sticking to your busy schedule of schooling and other extra-curricular activities. Their life gets busier as they grow.
So if you child is meeting all the requirements including desire of learning, comfort of hands over instrument along with finger movements, you can begin piano lessons as soon as possible. When you begin at early age there are more chances of music and piano learning to be immersed in to personality and mind of your child. Though if you have passed those years, it is never too late! Getting piano lessons would be beneficial for your kid at any age.